Beer snob, beer geek. Those are some of the names I've been called over the years. And I don't mind it at all!
Exploring different craft beer styles and seeking out rare bottles has long been a passion of mine, but so is introducing new people to the scene.
That's what I'll be doing in L.A. Brew News, a new column featuring the latest craft beer news and a roundup of some of the best beers on tap around town.
And what a week to start. It's that time of the year again when one of the most sought-after beers in the country hits a small number of Southland taps: Russian River Brewing's Pliny the Younger.
The year-round Pliny the Elder is already a revered and occassionally hard-to-find double IPA, but the Younger is an even more elusive triple IPA that attracts the most dedicated of hop heads.
Pliny the Younger is one of the few IPAs that's dry-hopped four times, resulting in a tongue-scraping bitterness that's somehow masterfully blended with a fruity zestiness.
Thanks to the Full Pint, here's a list of bars around L.A. that will be serving this rare brew over the next week:
2/17: Tony's Darts Away in Burbank at 1 p.m.
2/18: Haven Gastropub & Brewery in Pasadena at 11 a.m.
2/19: Mohawk Bend in Echo Park from 4-6 p.m.
2/21: The Surly Goat in West Hollywood at 6 p.m.
Visit the Full Pint's website for more details on which bars are first-come-first-serve and which require an advance ticket.
Here's a round-up of some other great brews that are on tap as of Friday:
Verdugo, 3408 Verdugo Road, Los Angeles:
- Russian River Pliny the Elder (American Double/IPA)
- Lagunitas Sucks (IPA)
- Alaskan Brewing Baltic Porter (My personal favorite on tap right now)
- Beachwood BBQ's Annihilator (American Barleywine)
- Hangar 24 Gourdgeous (American Porter)
- New Belgium Blue Paddle (Pilsner)
Barbara's at the Brewery, 620 Moulton Ave. #110 Los Angeles:
- Port Brewing Midnight Expression (Black lager)
- Great Divide Orabelle (Belgian tripel)
- Kinetic Afterburner (Double IPA)
The Local Peasant, 14058 Ventura Blvd., Sherman Oaks:
- Ballast Point Sculpin (IPA)
- Goose Island Sophie (Farmhouse Ale)
- Ballast Point Navigator (Barrel-aged Doppelbock)
The Surly Goat--7929 Santa Monica Blvd., West Hollywood:
- Firestone Walker Pivo Pilsner
- Telegraph Rhinoceros (American Barleywine)
- He'Brew Origin (Pomegranate Ale)
- Avery Czar (Imperial Stout)
Blue Palms Brewhouse, 6124 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood:
- Avery Maharaja (Double IPA)
- Lost Abbey Deliverance (American Strong Ale, another personal favorite)
- Lagunitas A Little Sumpin' Wild (Belgian IPA)
- Avery Mephistopheles' (Imperial Stout)
I look forward to bringing you more brew news every week. Cheers!