Officers will conduct a DUI checkpoint in Sun Valley from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m., according to the Los Angeles Police Department.
The checkpoint will be set up at Roscoe Boulevard and Sheldon Street, a press release read.
The statement went to say:
The crime of impaired driving is a serious one. In 2009 alone, 950 people died in California. DUI crashes in which a driver or motorcycle rider was at or above the legal limit. The age group with the highest percentage of alcohol-impaired-driving fatalities in motor vehicle traffic crashes was the 21 to 24 age group. Over the past three years, the LAPD has investigated over 3,500 fatal and injury DUI collision.
The LAPD recommends these simple tips if you plan on drinking:
- Designate your sober driver before the outing begins
- Avoid drinking too much alcohol too fast. Pace yourself – eat enough food, take breaks, and alternate with non-alcoholic drinks.
- If you don’t have a designated driver, ask a sober friend for a ride home; call a cab, a friend, or a family member to come and get you.
- Never let a friend get behind the wheel of their vehicle if you think they are about to drive while impaired.
- Always buckle up – it’s still your best defense against impaired drivers.