.

UPDATE: East Valley High Evacuated, 3 Hospitalized After Chemical Lab Spill

Three people have been transported to a hospital, according to the LAFD.

LAST UPDATE 2:30 P.M.

has been evacuated, according to several text message alerts sent out by the Los Angeles Fire Department. Up to 45 students and a teacher were medically evaluated at the school after a possible chemical exposure and three people, including a teacher, another adult and a 16-year-old student, are being transported to a local hospital.

The evacuation of the school, which is located at 5525 Vineland Ave. in North Hollywood, was due to a reported chemical spill in a laboratory during a teacher supervised experiment and a hazardous materials team is currently investigating. No students or teachers were harmed during the evacuation, which was "orderly" according to the LAFD. The majority of the students were evacuated onto the football field and then the the gymnasium, according to the LAFD.

According to the LAFD, the teacher taken to a hospital mistook sulfuric acid for nitric acid in her classroom experiment and suffered minor chemical exposure.

Vineland Avenue has been shut down as of 1:15 p.m. between Chandler and Burbank blvds.

The following alerts have been sent out by the LAFD. This story will be updated as more information is available:

12:52 p.m. *Haz-Mat Investigation* 5525 Vineland Av; MAP 563-A2; FS 60; PRELIM: Chemical mixture (?) in chemistry class at East Valley High School

1:05 p.m. *UPDATE: 5525 Vineland Av* No fire; No injury; Chemical(s) + fumes contained within 3rd floor chemistry classroom following teacher
supervised experiment; Calm + orderly evac of staff + students while
LAFD hazmat experts investigate

1:08 p.m. *UPDATE: 5525 Vineland Av* Street Closure: Vineland Av closed to all traffic between Chandler & Burbank Blvds

1:13 p.m. *UPDATE: 5525 Vineland Av* No staff/student illness reported; Unk # evacuated; Product fully within small container under vent hood;
Situation not expected to escalate

1:53 p.m. 5525 Vineland Av* Entire campus (unk #) calmly evacuated to
football field; LAFD evaluating 45 students + 1 teacher who were in
chemistry lab for vague complaints

2:10 p.m. *UPDATE: 5525 Vineland Av* All evac'd students + faculty moved to
gymnasium; Parents should *stand by* and MAY receive direct phone
contact from school officials IF [emphasis] an early end to (normal
3;22PM) school day occurs; Thus far down to 15 students with minor
complaints; 1 transport to an area hospital

2:30 p.m. 5525 Vineland Av* Down to 12 students being evaluated at scene
by LAFD Paramedics; Instructor reportedly mistook sulfuric acid for
nitric acid in her classroom experiment; She had minor chem exposure +
taken to area hosp; Other transports likely; Media contact = LAUSD for
student reunification plan

2:32 p.m. *UPDATE: 5525 Vineland Av* We're holding at 3 total  transports at this time (35 y/o F; 32 y/o F; 16 y/o M); Street closure should be lifted
within the hour

Yessica June 11, 2012 at 10:33 PM
45 students did not get tested. That is a huge lie. I was in the classroom when the incident happened. Only around 15-17 got tested. The rest we cleared by the LAFD and were not checked if their vitals were ok, which in my opinion, is a huge mistake. They should have teste everyone in the classroom and those next to it.
Yessica June 11, 2012 at 10:34 PM
*tested
Rquel June 12, 2012 at 03:18 AM
who was the teacher ??
Craig Clough (Editor) June 12, 2012 at 04:39 AM
The teacher has not been identified yet
Franky June 12, 2012 at 06:35 AM
I agree with Yessica I was the 16 year old student transported to the hospital.
JAGR June 12, 2012 at 07:11 AM
the same thing happened to me in HS...not sure which chemicals...very scary ...you guys will be ok and will have a story to tell your grand kids someday...teachers need to be extra careful...we are trusting our kids to them...
richierich June 13, 2012 at 03:57 AM
How stupid. This teacher should be fired for being so careless with dangerous chemicals. You need to check and double check.
dfg June 13, 2012 at 11:48 AM
We need to pay teachers more so that we can attract competent individuals to the field. It is very difficult to draw people that are very knowledgeable in math and/or science to the field when they can make so much more in other proffessions.
richierich June 13, 2012 at 02:08 PM
They get paid enough. Regardless it its a teacher or cleaning person, they should know about the chemicals they are using.
Yessica June 13, 2012 at 02:50 PM
How very judgemental of you all. Every news report on this twists the story up. Don't say anything unless you were there firsthand. :)
richierich June 13, 2012 at 05:10 PM
Why not be judgemental? These are dangerous chemicals that can permanently injure someone, and this is a teacher working with students.
Yessica June 14, 2012 at 04:35 AM
@richieric Do you even know what the effects of the mixture created are? They're not lethal nor can they permanently injure someone. The teacher was exposed to it the longest and she did not have any health issues afterward. The students who went to the hospital were all dumbly brought by paranoia. And like I said, don't judge unless you were there first hand. :D
Yessica June 14, 2012 at 04:36 AM
*richierich
Yessica June 14, 2012 at 04:38 AM
And guess what? The teacher wasn't fired. (Although I wish I could say the same for the chemical health inspector who was there at the time of the incident and didn't even know what to do. What a shame that all news reports on this incident forgot to leave that fact out)
richierich June 14, 2012 at 05:21 AM
I am sorry, but I believe sulferic acid is DANGEROUS.
Yessica June 14, 2012 at 05:40 AM
Sulfuric acid was not even the one that caused the over dramatized evacuation. This demo was originally planned to be sulfuric acid + sugar. Which is a NORMAL demo for schools to use to show how carbon in its purest form. This report got its facts mixed up. which I guess happens in the media world. The teacher mistook nitric acid for sulfuric acid, not the other way around. Nitric acid when added with the sugar, caused an exothermic reaction which caused the fumes. That werent even heavily toxic but the school stupidly decided to evacuate the school even though the container of the acid+sugar was in a fume hood. Third time I said it. Don't blindly judge unless you were there. :)
richierich June 14, 2012 at 02:44 PM
We judge everyday events that we are not present. Society could not function otherwise. That being said, there is no excuse for a mix-up of chemicals by a teacher.If a student did it I might think otherwise.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something