Authorities Thursday said the fire that killed a 79- year-old man in a one-story home in North Hollywood and sent his wife to a hospital was accidental and related to smoking.
The small three-bedroom home in the 6900 block of Agnes Avenue, a block north of Vanowen Street, sustained heavy damage from the blaze, reported at 8:13 p.m. Wednesday, officials said.
The woman was in a bedroom in the rear of the home and was alerted to the fire by a smoke detector, allowing her to escape through a back door before firefighters arrived, LAFD officials said. She was examined for smoke inhalation and taken to a hospital for observation.
Moore said the woman had no major complaints of injury, but her family was concerned for her mental well-being after her ordeal and the death of her husband, who was found in a family room or living room in the front of the house.
The man was pronounced dead at the scene, fire officials said. His name was withheld, pending notification of kin.
Forty-four firefighters responded to the blaze and had it knocked down in 15 minutes, officials said.
--City News Service