Valley News: Bomb Squad Called; Wandering Bear Spotted; Missing Man Sought

Here are some of the top stories around the San Fernando Valley today.

West Hills

A suspicious item found in a West Hills house today prompted a bomb squad response and the evacuation of some nearby homes as a precaution, but the object was not explosive, and the area was declared safe after about three hours, police said.

The incident began about 7:15 a.m. in the 6700 block of Royer Avenue, where officers were serving a search warrant, the Los Angeles Police Department reported.

During the search, officers discovered what was thought to be an explosive device, and they summoned a bomb squad.

The bomb squad determined after about three hours that it was not an explosive device, according to a statement issued by the LAPD Topanga Station.



A large bear wandered down streets and through yards in residential areas of Glendale before ambling back into the hills early today, police said.

The Glendale Police Department received a call around 11 p.m. Wednesday summoning officers to the area of Glen Cove Avenue and Santa Carlotta Street where they spotted a bear whose weight they estimated at a hefty 500 pounds, said Glendale police Sgt. Kevin Dizon.

The officers kept track of the bear as it went south across Foothill Boulevard, east into unincorporated La Crescenta, then northwest toward the hills starting around 12:25 a.m. today, he said.

A camera crew spotted the bear in the Tujunga area around 1 a.m., meaning it went through three jurisdictions -- Glendale, unincorporated L.A. County and the city of Los Angeles -- during its nocturnal peregrinations.



Officers searched tonight around the wash by Whiteman Airport in Pacoima for a man who fled from officers.

The suspect ran from police sometime around 10 p.m. and is believed to have a gun, according to a sergeant from the Los Angeles Police Department's Foothill Station who did not give his first name.

It was unclear why the man was running from police.


Sherman Oaks

A developmentally disabled 22-year-old with bipolar disorder, intermittent explosive disorder and a schizoaffective disorder walked away from his residential facility in Glendale today.

Tyler Henson, who came to the Glendale facility last week from Sherman Oaks, walked away from it at 6 a.m., said Glendale Police Department Sgt. Thomas R. Lorenz. A photo of Henson is available at the Glendale News-Press.

Henson needs medication daily and without it becomes aggressive.

Henson was last seen at San Fernando Road and Brand Boulevard, wearing blue cut off pants and a blue shirt. He had no shoes when he left the facility.

Anyone with information about Henson's whereabouts was asked to call Detective Art Frank of the Glendale Police Department at (818) 548-3987.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »