Officers will conduct a DUI checkpoint in Sun Valley Saturday from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m., according to the Los Angeles Police Department.
The checkpoint will be set up at Roscoe Boulevard and Sheldon Street, a press release read.
Another checkpoint is scheduled for the North Hollywood area Sunday from 5 p.m. to 2 a.m., but an intersection was not provided.
The statement went on to say:
"All too often, members of our community are senselessly injured or killed on local roadways by impaired drivers. “Over the course of the past year, DUI-related collisions have claimed twelve lives and injured 825 of our friends and neighbors in Los Angeles,” said Lieutenant Ronal Katona, LAPD Traffic Coordination Section.
A countywide crackdown on drunk driving has netted DUI arrests 2,168 from Dec. 14-Jan. 1.
The LAPD recommends these simple tips if you plan on drinking:
- Designate your sober driver before the outing begins
- Avoid drinking too much alcohol too fast. Pace yourself – eat enough food, take breaks, and alternate with non-alcoholic drinks.
- If you don’t have a designated driver, ask a sober friend for a ride home; call a cab, a friend, or a family member to come and get you.
- Never let a friend get behind the wheel of their vehicle if you think they are about to drive while impaired.
- Always buckle up – it’s still your best defense against impaired drivers.